Thursday, November 4, 2010

Meeting #1

  I attended the Fla. US Senate Debate held at USF on Oct. 24.  With the election coming up, I believed this was an important event to witness.  Candidates Kendrick Meek, Marco Rubio, and Charlie Crist faced off, focusing on important issues such as securing US borders, tax cuts, the economy, etc.
   The candidates had many disagreements about tax cuts and whether or not the war has made the world safer.  Meek felt strongly that we would have been better off if Bush was not in office during the 9/11 attack; his lies created more problems for us.
  Meek appeared to be in favor of middle-class needs.  I liked that Rubio supported job creation.  That's what we all need in this economy.  People are stuck working in jobs they are overqualified for because there are no jobs.  I've heard politicians promise job creation before, and I'm just hoping the promises are kept.  I also liked how Crist was in favor of women's rights.  As a woman, I appreciate when men have the respect to let us choose.  It is not fair to take that choice away from us.  Nothing makes me more livid than seeing a man protesting abortion on the side of the road in front of a women's clinic.  Makes me wonder if those men do it for attention or just to start an uproar among women.
  I was glad CNN came to USF to hold this debate.  It got me excited for the election, and I think it is important to hold these debates on college campuses because young people need to vote. 

1 comment:

  1. Good point. I too hate when men protest against something, in my opinion, they know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete