Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Courts

  As a college student, my peers may occasionally end up in court for various reasons.  I most often hear about traffic court.  Speeding, running red lights, making illegal U-turns.  Citations for these civil offenses could all be appealed in traffic court.
  I got a ticket for making an illegal U-turn a few years ago at the corner of Fletcher and Bruce B. Downs.  I was new to the USF area and I was on the phone and did not see the No U-turn sign.  To my dismay, there was an officer waiting discreetly in a parking lot, ready to pull over any offenders.  I saw flashing lights behind me shortly after I made the U-turn and I thought, "Oh Sh**."  He gave me a $123 ticket.  Looking back, I should have taken it to court.  I had no previous tickets and I believe I should have gotten off the hook with a warning.  The fine seemed a little steep to me.  Now I see people make U-turns at the corner and get away with it all the time and I can't help but feel like they're getting away with murder.
  I most likely would have lost my case, but the principle of the matter would be enough for me to stand up for if I could go back in time.
   Back then, I was not as aware of the court system as I am now.  It is not as intimidating as I thought.
  The clerk of court states "The Traffic Department maintains all records pertaining to traffic citations issued to persons in Hillsborough County and all parking tickets issued by law enforcement agencies outside the Tampa city limits in Hillsborough County."  They collect fines and set court dates for traffic infractions.
  Criminal traffic violations such as DUI or driving with a suspended license require offenders to schedule a court date within 10 days of the violation. 
  When I got my ticket, my options were listed by the officer.  Because I received a civil citation, I had 30 days to request a court date to appeal my case, attend traffic school to avoid receiving points against me on my driver's license, or simply pay the fine.  I chose traffic school.  I remain a safe driver.

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment